God wrote the book (the Bible) on every subject you can think of. Whether you’re looking for guidance in regard to marriage, child-rearing, health, relationships, money management, people skills, leadership, morality, you name it.
The Bible is not only the world’s bestseller, it’s also man’s best purchase. Why? Because, the Bible speaks authoritatively and specifically to all the issues of our day and the needs of our lives.
Take business, for example. Here are ten principles that would help any business improve immediately. And they’re all from the pages of the Bible.
1. The Golden Rule: “Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. (Luke 6:31) This is one of the greatest rules for life and business. Sounds a whole lot like “the customer is always right.”
2. Go the second mile. (Matthew 5:41). Imagine what would happen in your business if every employee and every worker always did more than what was expected.
3. Be faithful in the little things and the big things will take care of themselves. (Matthew 25:23) Doing lots of little things right always makes a big impact.
4. Work in such a way that the people closest to you respect you the most. Jesus taught that a prophet has no honor in his own country. (Mark 6:4) Developing and deserving respect within your own office, your own company, etc., is hard work.
5. Build your life and business on a solid foundation. (Luke 6:46-49). If you start out wrong you never end up right. Far better it is to do things right from the start and build your business with the right values, principles, goals and plans than to try to clean up the mess you’ve already made before you can make things right.
6. Realize we're not all given the same opportunities. (Matthew 25:14-30). All men may be created equal, but we aren’t all given equal talents, skills, abilities or opportunities. Whatever we are given, we need to do our absolute best and be ready to give an account.
7. Develop the right priorities. (Matthew 16:26). Don’t get so obsessed with your “business” that you forget the most important things in life.
8. There’s power in persistence. (John 15:5-8). The real fruit comes to those who remain. It's absolutely critical to stay on target, doing what you’re supposed to be doing and doing it well.
9. There’s power in preparation. (Matthew 25:1-13). Procrastination is literally a killer. We need to do what we ought to do today, and tomorrow will take care of itself.
10. Follow the example of the greatest leader who ever lived. (John 14:1-6). When you discover what Jesus can do for your life, your business, your family and your future, you'll never be the same.
I told you the Bible is an awesome book. And that’s just ten of hundreds of principles God has given us that can help us in our work lives.
Just think what else He’s got for all the other areas of our lives. All we have to do is take some time, every day, to read His Word (the Bible) and we can receive the greatest guidance and divine direction anyone could ever want.
Now there’s a job for you!
© 2013. Barry L. Cameron
Barry L. Cameron has been the Senior Pastor of Crossroads since 1992 when the church was averaging 188 in morning worship. Pastor Cameron and his wife, Janis, have three children and two grandsons. He’s the author of the bestseller: The ABCs of Financial Freedom, Contagious Generosity, and The Financial Freedom Workbook. The Cameron family has been completely debt free since November 2001.