1. If you see something you want, buy it right now.
2. If you don’t have the cash to buy it, charge it so you can get it right now.
3. When you get your paycheck, always pay yourself first and set aside “your” money to do what you want.
4. If you can’t pay all your bills, no “biggie.” Just pay ‘em next pay period.
5. If you can handle the monthly payment on something it doesn’t matter how much it costs, even if it’s a car or a house.
6. If you get a raise, celebrate by splurging and getting whatever you want, no matter the cost. You deserve it.
7. Always make the minimum payment the maximum payment you make on your credit card bill. That way you’ll have more disposable cash to use on other things you want.
8. Don’t ever pay off your house. Don’t want to lose the tax deduction.
9. Never buy a vehicle — lease it. You’ll be making a car payment anyway. By leasing you can have a new car every three to four years!
And, if you really want to wreck your financial future …
10. Whatever you do, don’t tithe. How can you possibly get ahead financially GIVING away YOUR MONEY?
On the other hand, if you want to “fix” your finances, start by doing what God says to do. Proverbs 3:9-10 is a great place to begin, “Honor the Lord with your wealth, with the firstfruits of all your crops; then your barns will be filled to overflowing, and your vats will brim over with new wine.” Giving generously, spending wisely, saving regularly and living frugally are all part of a biblical blueprint for financial success.
Proverbs 11:24-25 says, "One man gives freely, yet gains even more; another withholds unduly, but comes to poverty. A generous man will prosper; he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed."
If you want to “fix” your finances, start by doing what God says to do.
Join us for worship Sunday at 8:45, 10:00, 11:30 a.m. or 5:00 p.m. Then come by the bookstore and get a copy of The ABCs of Financial Freedom or Contagious Generosity. Or get one of DAVE RAMSEY’s books or any number of the outstanding resources we have to help you get on the road to financial freedom.
It’ll be one of the best investments you’ll ever make!
© 2017. Barry L. Cameron
Barry L. Cameron has been the Senior Pastor of Crossroads since 1992 when the church was averaging 188 in morning worship. Pastor Cameron and his wife, Janis, have three children and two grandsons. He’s the author of the bestseller: The ABCs of Financial Freedom, Contagious Generosity, and The Financial Freedom Workbook. The Cameron family has been completely debt free since November 2001.